This plaque was placed at the current building in 2009 to commemorate the club’s 120th anniversary. The Herndon Fortnightly Club is the oldest women’s club in Virginia and the club started the first lending library in Fairfax County!
Once the Fortnightly Club bought a lot of land on Spring Street, they had their new cream-colored library built in 1927. It is a one story, brick, Classical Revival style building at 660 Spring Street (now home to the Friends Meeting House https://www.herndonfriendsmeeting.org/ ). The club then elected Mrs. Lillian Lynn (1865-1953) as their first librarian.